The University of Bordeaux Initiative of Excellence presentation
The goal: a competitive international research university in tune with its environment.
The 'Investments for the Future' scheme (PIA)
In 2010, the French government launched the Investments for the Future scheme to finance the projects which will shape the France of tomorrow.
A 10-year budget of €22 billion was earmarked for higher education and research, identified as key priorities.
These investments target the creation of some ten world-class clusters of excellence in higher education and scientific research.
One of the major programs selected for this far-reaching endeavor is the University of Bordeaux Initiative of Excellence (IdEx Bordeaux).
The University of Bordeaux Initiative of Excellence (IdEx Bordeaux)
In close collaboration with research bodies and partner institutions, the University of Bordeaux offers innovative research, training and knowledge transfer programs.
These programs are financed with the income stemming from a €700 million endowment granted to IdEx Bordeaux. These funds must be supplemented by partner investments and external resources (ANR or European call for proposals, private funding, etc.).
The University of Bordeaux also coordinates other projects under the 'Investments for the Future' scheme concerning higher education and research in the Bordeaux area, in synergy with the Clusters of Excellence (LabEx), Facilities of Excellence (EquipEx), University Hospital Institute (IHU) and Technology Transfer Office (SATT).
The Investments for the Future Unit operating within the University of Bordeaux structures and coordinates these projects and programs.
- Founding partners: University of Bordeaux, CNRS, Inserm, Sciences Po Bordeaux, Bordeaux INP, Bordeaux Sciences Agro, Bordeaux Montaigne University
- Associated partners: CHU of Bordeaux, Inra, Inria, Irstea, CEA
- Partners financially supporting IdEx Bordeaux: Aquitaine Regional Council, European Union
- 2012-2015: emergence of a major world-class multi-disciplinary research university in Bordeaux, in collaboration with the partners of IdEx Bordeaux.
- 2016-2020: "Université de Bordeaux" as a brand name and the spearhead of the international development of higher education and research in Bordeaux.
166, cours de l'Argonne
33 000 Bordeaux